The first meal of the day is unquestionably the most important meal of the day. However, many people either are too busy or find it boring to sit down to have breakfast every day. Instead of a nutritious and healthy breakfast, they eat foods with a high amount of sugar and calories without any nutritional value at all. In this article, we’ll take a look at some more healthy alternatives.
1. Whole grain breakfast cereal – Contains plenty of fiber, is a good source of vitamins and is rich in minerals. Serve with low fat milk and add some fresh or dried fruits for added sweetness.
2. Fruit smoothies – A good breakfast at any time, but especially on a hot summer day. Use fresh or frozen fruits and berries such as bananas, strawberries, raspberries or any other fruit you like.
3. Oatmeal – A porridge made from oats with fresh fruits, served with low-fat milk. Fresh fruits will add more health benefits to the breakfast and give it a more sweet taste. What kind of fruit you have is completely up to you. Strawberries for example, would be a good choice.
4. Toast with beans – Beans are very healthy and a good source of protein and fiber. Use whole-grain bread with little or low fat butter.
5. Muffins – Low fat and whole-grain muffins can be a quick and healthy breakfast alternative. Serve with jam or natural peanut butter.
6. Yogurt with fresh fruits – If possible, choose a low fat yogurt with a low sugar and calorie content. Add fruits or berries of your own choice and serve with a large glass of fresh orange juice.
7. Scrambled or boiled eggs – You can have your eggs almost anyway you wish, but try to avoid fried eggs. Serve with whole-grain bread or toast.
8. Fruit salad – Mix your favorite fruits and start your day with a healthy fruit salad. You could, for example add chopped bananas, apples, strawberries, grapes, kiwi, orange, melon and pineapple.
9. Low fat cheese salad – Start with fresh lettuce and add some potato salad and chopped tomatoes. Next, make bread croutons and add it to the salad. Finally, chop or grate the cheese into smaller pieces and sprinkle it over the salad.
10. Breakfast Burrito – A quick and easy breakfast, which is also nutritious and low in calories. You could add tomatoes, onion, eggs, bell pepper and low fat cheese, and wrap it in a whole-wheat tortilla.